Call JULIE Before You Dig
JULIE Fact Sheet
- JULIE, Inc. (Joint Utility Locating Information for Excavators), also known as the “Illinois One-Call System,” is a not-for-profit organization that provides professional excavators and homeowners a free service to contact to request the locating and marking of underground utility facilities.
- The Illinois General Assembly enacted the Illinois Underground Utility Facilities Damage Prevention Act in 1991. The law requires anyone excavating to contact the Illinois One-Call System before digging and requires owners and operators of underground utilities to be members of the one-call system.
- JULIE, Inc. is a free and open 24/7. Simply call 8-1-1 or 800-892-0123, or visit their self-service options.
- JULIE, Inc. is not a utility and neither owns nor marks any underground facilities. JULIE, Inc. serves as a message handling service for its underground utility facility members, taking information about planned excavations and distributing this information to its membership. It is then the responsibility of each member utility to mark the location of their underground facilities at the excavation site.
- Professional excavators and homeowners are required by state law to notify JULIE at least two business days (excluding weekends and holidays) in advance of the start of their project.