Support Small Businesses During This Crisis
COVID-19 precautions to lessen the spread of the illness have dramatically changed our shopping and dining habits, presenting major challenges to our community's small retail stores, restaurants, and related businesses.
While you may not be able to visit these establishments as you normally would due to temporary closures or social distancing measures, you can continue to support small businesses in our community.
Here are a few suggestions:
- Buy gift cards for future use. This is a great way to support a small business now, and many of these businesses are offering the option to purchase gift cards online.
- Shop online from local businesses. If your favorite local shop or store offers online shopping, think about buying birthday and holiday gifts early. (Even if they haven't offered online shopping before, check again. They may be offering it now.)
- Choose local grocery stores and pharmacies over big-box chains when possible. If you can safely shop in person, please make your trips for essentials to small businesses and help them stay afloat.
- Order takeout or delivery. This helps local restaurants continue to operate while you maintain social distancing. If you're able, tip the delivery person generously to help these struggling workers.
- Don't forget about nonprofits. You can double your community assistance by buying a gift card from a local shop and donating it to a nonprofit. For example, you could buy a gift card from a local pet supply store and donate it to an animal shelter.
Small businesses need our support now more than ever to survive this crisis. Please do what you can to help.