Village of Sherman Halloween Safety Message
Trevor J. Clatfelter, Mayor * Craig M. Bangert, Chief of Police
Halloween hours are 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. on October 31, 2018.
Halloween can be exciting for children and adults. Halloween parties, trick or treating, fall festivals and haunted houses are all enjoyable. However, we want to remind you to not let your guard down when it comes to safety. Halloween is one of our favorite times of year but it also raises our concern for your safety.
Halloween Safety Tips
- Slow down in residential neighborhoods and obey all traffic laws.
- Exercise extreme caution when driving a vehicle. Be on the alert for excited youngsters darting out in traffic whose vision may be obscured by masks.
- Enter and exit driveways with caution.
- If you are driving children around the neighborhood, make sure they enter/exit on the curbside.
- Drivers should not wear a mask or a costume that makes it difficult to move your arms and legs while driving.
- Designate a driver for “adult parties”.
Parents and Children
- Report any suspicious or criminal activity to 9-1-1.
- Use costumes with light or bright colored material and trim.
- Costume vision does not interfere with walking or their vision.
- Encourage children to use face paint and/or make-up rather than hoods, wigs or masks that can block vision.
- Teach children not to cut across yards. Clotheslines and yard ornaments are invisible in the dark.
- Do not accept rides from strangers.
- Check all treats before the children eat the candy and other Halloween goodies. Discard any homemade or unwrapped treats.
- Restrict Trick/Treat visits to homes with porch or outside lights on.
- Do not go into homes.
- Give children a flashlight & fresh batteries so they can see/be seen.
- Children should Trick or Treat in groups. NEVER alone. An adult should accompany children.
- Set a time limit for your children to Trick or Treat. Designate a specific route for them to take.
- Children should obey all pedestrian safety laws; look left, right then left again before entering street traffic. Cross only at street corners and never between parked cars. Walk don’t run.
Please do not hesitate to contact the Sherman Police Department
at 496.3256 should you have any questions.