Zoning Board of Appeals
The Zoning Committee provides residents, contractors and developers a process to accept petitions for zoning amendments, variances and conditional permitted uses. The power, duties and functions of the Zoning Board of Appeals are:
- To promote and protect the public health, safety, comfort, convenience, prosperity and general welfare of the people.
- Securing adequate light, high quality environment and safety from fire and other dangers.
- Conserving the taxable value of land and buildings throughout the village.
- It is the purpose of the Zoning Board of Appeals to set up and accomplish certain standards and objectives by:
- Organizing the Village into districts, regulating and restricting therein the location, construction, reconstruction, alteration and use of buildings, structures or land, whether for residence, office, business, manufacturing or other specific uses.
- Regulating and limiting the height and bulk of buildings and other structures.
- Establishing, regulating and limiting the building or setback lines along streets, alleys or property lines.
- Regulating and limiting the intensity of the use of the lot area and determining the area of open spaces within and surrounding such buildings.
- Providing for certain permitted uses and conditional permitted uses.
- Regulating the size, type and location of signs.
- Requiring accessory off street parking and loading facilities.
- Defining and limiting the powers and duties of the administrative officers and bodies as provided herein.
- Providing for the change and amendment of such regulations and boundaries of the respective districts.
- Providing for the continuance of uses of structures of land which were lawful before the effective date hereof, but which could be prohibited, regulated or restricted under the terms of this title or future amendments.
- Prescribing penalties for the violation of the provisions of this title or of any amendment hereto.
For further information we recommend you reference the Village Ordinances at: https://codelibrary.amlegal.com/codes/shermanil/latest/overview.
Zoning Board of Appeals Members
- Keith Bull, Chair
- Jane VanHoos, Vice Chair
- Randy Burge, Member
- Krista Sherrock, Member
- Abby Bybee, Member
- Kurtis Ratliff, Member
- Dave Rush, Member